Monday, December 20, 2010

The Law of Place Continued

Let us consider some other factors that make law of place so important. I want to return to the example we discussed earlier. Consider the eagle and its place when it stalks its prey. If it was in any other place, it's perspective would change and thus, the angle of its attack. At every moment, like fast motion photography, the eagle will fly forward and thus occupy space at different time intervals. Finally, the place of its prey is also important. If the prey occupies any other place or changes places, it would naturally escape. If the eagle captures its prey, space is unified in a loose sense and the eagle has succeeded in its place manipulation. I had a friend that traveled to Texas. He was living in New York and traveled Texas and thus changed places. He was no longer in New York, where I may be able to communicate with him or say hello. He was now in Texas and thus had changed places and I could only reach him by phone. He traveled a great distance to reach his destination and as he changed places, he also changed my orientation to his place in time. I realized that he was no in Texas and would not be easily reachable and I also imagined what his new place might be like. Do we then think in terms of distance and place? I would've easily thought of him as being close by even though he was physically in Texas. If I thought he was close by would I be able to reach out and grab him by the hand. Obviously, no because place has determined him to be elsewhere and I would reaching for nothing. Consider a child when it is born. It occupies as small place due its size. As time passes, its body grows and it occupies more space depending on how tall or how short, how skinny or how fat. Time then determines place and space occupation such as the eagle outspreading its wings and thus fulfilling its rightful place. Does consciousness have a place? If consciousness was one and uniform, then place would be uniform. But consciousness is non-material reality. It may not require material to exist. Further, consciousness provides a place that is non-affected by physical mediation. We can resolve that place affects us greatly. A deer grazing on land consumes grass in a specified place and no other place, thus providing itself nourishment. I stand under the sun or in the shade and place will affect the outcome and whether or not I would be tanned or sunburned. If I traded places with you at this very moment, you would no longer exist, if I could occupy the same space inside the very place that you stand. The place that you occupy is your personal space that is owed to you by mere fact of your existence. What would happened if I pushed you out of place. You would be then, be occupying a different place and will feel out of place if you were pushed involuntarily. Considerable time will also have passed as a result of that event, you being moved from one place to another. Will you be angry with me for moving you out of your place or will I apologize and say it was an accident. Notwithstanding if we can resolve our differences, this event would create a considerable place displacement and we would resume taking up our respective places. I pushed the old lady out of the way of traffic so she wouldn't be hit by a car. If she stayed in her place, she would've been struck. Actors often have to stand on a mark in order to deliver a line in front of a camera. If they occupy any other place, it would affect the shot considerably and how the film looks. We also impact the place that we occupy. We walk on the beach, we leave footprints on the sand thus creating a place impression. The place is changed due to the distance we travel and the impact that's made. While this change is superfluous in an objective sense, the place has not changed and we have created a small, immeasurable impact on the former place that we traversed. The question persists. Why should there be a place in the first place for us to occupy such a place and conform to that place to survive? When a parent tells a child, "stay in your place" that has real significance since place is so determinant. If the child acts out of place, he will likely incur the anger and resentment of the parent who has instructed him to behave. Thus, we have a natural instinct for place. I know I am near the water's edge and should not go closer lest I fall in or that my hand is close to the fire and I should move it away lest it be burned. Each entity occupies a place and is interrelated. Standing close to the water's edge makes me vulnerable to falling in. If I do fall in and drown, I would've left the place of my safety and thus, became a victim of drowning in a place where I wasn't meant to be. Thus, instinct tells me to move away from the water and occupy a safer place. Obviously, someone who can swim would be able to safely leave the water. Can matter occupy the entire realm of place? Obviously not, since place greatly outweighs our ability to occupy it. There is matter everywhere that we see in nature and nature offers a place for matter to survive and time governs the place where matter exists but any other place for it to occupy that is not it's rightful place would negate its instinct for survival. It seems time is fixed as it relates to place. There is a fixed time for the tree grow or the fruit to blossom in a specific place. Nature exists in fixed or perfect time. I have a certain number of years to live or it takes me so much time to get to school and if I stayed in bed, I would be late for school and thus, my time would be wasted. Can I live longer than a hundred years? No, because I am a product of fixed time albeit time will go on, though I will no longer exist. Would that then mean that I have transcended time or simply that the ghost has passed. You are given a certain amount of time to take an exam. When time is up, you must drop your pencil and hand in your exam. This affects you, your place, your existence since time is objective and theoretically, you can have all the time in the world to complete your exam but alas, you are a product of fixed time because you won't outlive all time. If you believe you can transcend time, you won't exist in a place or at all and have no impact, in a physical sense, on the world and thus, would not have any statistical value (see Sartre). We often say when someone passes, that "he is now in a better place". Does that mean he was in a worse place prior to his passing or that he is truly in a better place where there is no suffering and he has entered heaven. It's hard to let a place go. Firstly, it requires physical strength and notwithstanding a lot more. Place memory often determines what we do, who we are and how we act. The squirrel remembers and sometimes forgets the place where it has buried its food. I remember a place where I was once happy or I was once sad and place often denotes an emotive quality. I may thrive in certain places such as a quiet room in a library where I can study without interruption. When I remove a plant out of its place in the sun, chances are it will destroyed by lack of sunlight unless it is a different kind of plant that can survive without sufficient light But then it is no longer the same plant occupying the same place. Place then becomes a contradiction in terms. We cannot share the same place without changing something in ourselves. This can be better defined by the laws of evolution. Let us consider the topic again at a later date.

No comments: