Monday, June 21, 2010

A Follow-up to my Email to the Wildlife Conservation Society

A Positive Follow-up:

Let me extend my appreciation to WCS for my recent wildlife experience at the Queens Zoo. I visited the Queens Zoo, after visiting the Bronx Zoo, and the experience was vastly different. The educational aspects, the overall conservation, and family friendly environment were impressive. Obviously the Queens Zoo is at the center of a transportation hub and there is pollution to contend with but here at the Queens Zoo, the wildlife seemed more healthy and peaceful. I especially liked the petting zoo, which could be expanded with the acquisition of additional open space where children may be allowed to ride ponies or horses for a more personalized experience. While I did not enter the aviary, it was a nice aspect, and the walking trail was a lot of fun. I enjoyed the pumas and the sea lions (this exhibit was inspirational), most of all. I still don't understand why the eagles don't take off (they don't seem to be confined) but I leave that to the good
judgment of the conservationists. Eagles are very majestic and as a theoretician, I often reflect on eagles in my writings and support their conservation but importantly, the reintegration to their natural habitat. Birds can often outlive other species and we should do everything we can to promote their well-being, freedom and procreation. Again, reintegration is very important and interchanging wildlife exhibits should be seriously considered. Wildlife thrives in the wild. I was displeased with the tiger enrichment at the Bronx Zoo, mainly because I thought that feeding the tigers by hurling cardboard boxes over the fence was very inappropriate and seemed crass. That really sends out the wrong message and shows that conservation is hands-off and primitive. I hope the Bronx will work hard to make improvements and WCS will continue to be a positive enterprise devoted to ongoing conservation.

Keep up the great work,


- AJ

PS: I'd like to add the Polar Bear to my list of discontented animals below. These creatures are truly displaced and deserve to be in their natural habitat which offers an ideal, natural environment for their perpetuation. This polar bear seemed very annoyed.

I am also disenchanted with the WCS Website. I think it's a bit degrading and uses too much negative language and imagery. This is not an attractive way to promote conservation. We should not frame wildlife with statements that harp negatively on their endangered or threatened status. A positive message should be sent to the public - positive words and photos should be used - that wildlife has a chance for success and conservation is making a strong impact. Indeed, animals are instinctual - and have a sense of their own state (free or captive), well-being and how they are being cared for. WCS should be mindful of how they interact with wildlife on every level and every aspect of our conservation effort should be cognizant of how wildlife is portrayed in the media or to our guests. We should not undermine the well-being of the wildlife or its natural integrity to meet funding needs or to kowtow to donors - funding needs are integral to positive
outcomes. I hope this is improved.

No comments: